Stress Awareness Month: Our top tips to help you unwind
April 13, 2022
This April marks Stress Awareness Month, a time to reflect on the stresses of everyday life and the noticeable triggers whilst focusing on the ways in which we can work towards reducing them; to help contribute to a happier and calmer lifestyle.
Stress is an inevitable part of everyday life for all ages. It can be acute or chronic, meaning that we may find a sudden event or short period of time upsetting, in some cases, it may last for more extended periods. Day to day chronic stress can be draining and challenging to control but learning to notice the triggers and manage our feelings when these situations arise, can help decrease the overwhelming feelings of fear and reduce the snowball effect stress can sometimes bring.
The last two years have been challenging for everyone, and the different effects of stress can have lasting impacts on our day-to-day lives. Physical symptoms can include panic attacks, muscle aches, difficulty breathing and nausea, whilst mental symptoms may make you angry, upset, worried or lonely.
What is important to remember is that there are no set rules with stress. No matter what age someone may be or the lifestyle choice they may choose to follow; they are likely to experience different emotional and physical symptoms from somebody else and find different ways of coping more valuable than others might.
Here at Bramley, we are passionate about nurturing our mental health to help promote positive wellbeing. So, when it comes to relaxing, our products can help to calm, de-stress and transport you to a tranquil environment, and we've got a range of tips and tricks below that can give you some guidance on how to be that little bit kinder to yourself, especially when you most need it.
- Exercise! It's not always the top of our list when we're feeling down or stressed, but physical activity is proven to boost your endorphins, which help improve your mood and make you feel happier. As a British brand based in the countryside, we love to get outdoors and appreciate the environment we have around us. Just a gentle walk with your dog or a leisurely swim could be enough to take your mind off the stress of things, even if it's just for a few hours.
- If exercise isn't your thing, spending an hour or so sitting in the sunshine in your garden can be a great mood booster. Vitamin D is proven to help reduce fatigue and feelings of anxiety, while the serotonin you soak up from the sunlight helps you to achieve a more restful night's sleep.
Did you know that we are giving away a free packet of wildflower seeds with every online order throughout April? This could be the perfect afternoon activity to get you outside and help take your mind off the worries of life.
- Talking to someone and connecting with others can help reduce loneliness and give us a greater sense of belonging. Here at Bramley, we are part of The Beckford Group, an umbrella of acclaimed hospitality businesses, including ourselves, four pubs and a bottle shop. Socialising is part of our nature, and a delicious dinner with friends or catching up over a coffee (or wine!) can act as a great mood booster whilst helping to discuss the emotions you may be experiencing.
- If sleeping is something you struggle with when stressed, then our luxury range of bath products will create a soothing environment for you to unwind in before bedtime. And a top tip- if you slightly increase your bath temperature, the body's cooling process will likely make you sleepy, so you drift off that little bit easier.
This tip is ideal for little people too! Offering them a bubble bath with Little B and some downtime before bed will help to calm and soothe them, saving both you and them from a stressful, sleepless night!
- We're firm believers that lovely smells can evoke happy memories, so all of our products are made from 100% natural botanicals and the finest essential oils.
Aromatherapy has real benefits for stress as emerging research suggests that certain calming scents can alter brain wave activity and help to decrease stress levels. Our Calm Balm with Rosehip, Chamomile & Yarrow is a fabulous example of one of our products that have essentially been created to offer you comfort in times of stress.
Ultimately it is important to remember that stress isn't going to disappear within the blink of an eye but, working towards reducing the feelings associated with anxiety and managing the triggers with helpful techniques that work for you, will help contribute to more positive wellbeing.
For further support and information about stress, we recommend visiting our friends at Mind, who offer advice, raise awareness and promote understanding of mental health issues.
April 13, 2022